Google My Business is a service that creates a free listing which appears in search results when people search for your business (and businesses like yours). This article will look at how to set up Google My Business and give you the reasons why it helps local search.
Why Should I Use Google My Business?
If you’re looking to boost your profile online, Google My Business is a great way to give some kick in local search. It’s easy to set up, simple to update and gives you complete control of your brand. Google is the key to online presence.
A great reason to use GMB is because of how simple it is to keep your contact information up to date and displayed right on the search results page. If you move office or change your phone number, you can just update your profile and your customers will always be able to contact and find you.
You can even upload photos which appear in search results. Providing people visual content has proven time and time again to boost interaction and result in higher conversion rates. Add high quality photos of your work, or infographics of your services for a more engaging results page.
Not only are the initial stages of customers contacting you taken care of, but you can also gather reviews post-sale. Earn genuine reviews and loyalty by inviting feedback on how well you have done, then display it all right on the search results.
Did I mention all of this is absolutely free?
How To Set Up Google My Business
- Visit https://business.google.com and click “Start Now”
- Log in with your Google account if you already have one. If not, now is the time to create one.
- When you’re logged in, enter the name of your business and click “Next”.
- Now you’ll be prompted for your business address. If you don’t have a storefront, or for whatever reason don’t want your address shown publicly (e.g. you may work from home and would rather keep your address private), make sure to tick “I deliver goods and services to my customers” and select “Hide my address”.
- Confirm your business location on the map.
- Select whether you’d like your delivery area listed by distance or region. If you aren’t sure which is for you, just select “by region” and enter “England” (and Scotland, N.Irl and Wales if you choose). This will display your service area map as country-wide, maximising your potential visitors. Avoid typing “United Kingdom” as Google seems to have a strange bug where the service boundary on your listing map will stretch across the UK, but also out to Cyprus. Not sure why. Get cracking on this one Google!
- Select the category that is most relevant to your business.
- Add your public phone number and website if you have these.
- Now you’re most of the way there. Google will need to know that you are genuine, and they do this by sending you a verification code. Select the method you’d like to receive this code. If you select “By Mail” it can take a few days to arrive.
Once verified, your business listing is up and running. Explore your options and start uploading photos and gathering reviews. Now you know why you should, and how to set your business up with Google My Business! If you’d like further assistance with this process, get in contact with Digizoid today.
If you liked this article or found it helpful, please share it around on Facebook, Twitter and all your social media channels!
Are you interested in writing about website design, graphic design or SEO? Send an email to [email protected] to get your articles featured on this blog!